Chad primarily represents land owners, developers and local governments in state and federal court on a myriad of land-use and zoning issues including vested rights, constitutional matters and zoning ordinance interpretations. He also represents land owners and developers before local Boards of Adjustment, Planning Commissions, City Councils, and County Commissioners on matters related to zoning, permitting, variances, annexations, special use permits, site plans, subdivisions and road closings.
Chad also represents and advises banks and financial institutions with respect to real estate and land-use issues affecting distressed and /or bank-owned property, including litigation pertaining to real estate assets and security interests. He reviews and drafts real estate purchase contracts, lease agreements and other commercial contracts, and represents clients in litigation regarding the same.
Chad has previously represented clients before the North Carolina General Assembly on limited issues.
Zoning and Land Use
- Regularly represent commercial and residential land owners before local planning boards, Boards of Adjustment, Historic Preservation Commissions, City Councils, County Commissioners and other local elected or appointed bodies.
- Represent land owners and local governments in Superior Court and the Appellate Courts on land use and zoning appeals, including zoning ordinance interpretations, rezonings and permit approval or denial.
- Represent adjacent property owners and organized neighborhood associations in opposing rezonings and various other land use projects.
- Advise local governments on zoning amendments and decisions.
- Advise banks and financial institutions on real estate and land use related issues that pertain to distressed or bank-owned property.
Litigation and Administrative Law
read all representative experience
- Represent banks and financial institutions in litigation matters related to real estate assets and security interests.
- Represent companies in collection efforts and breach of contract actions.
- Represent companies and individuals before the Office of Administrative Hearings on matters pertaining to licensure and civil fines.
- Represent land owners and local governments in property tax appeals before the Property Tax Commission and local Boards of Equalization and Review.
Overview of the North Carolina Environmental Policy Act, 2008
The 2006 Amendments to the Landfill Franchise Statute and the Pending Solid Waste Act of 2007, July 2007
Prior Legal ExperienceChad worked as a Lobbyist/Governmental Relations at the Edmisten and Webb Law Firm from 2002 to 2003 prior to joining Poyner Spruill.