Chris’ practice focuses on the representation of electric, telecommunications, gas, water, and wastewater public utilities. He also practices in the areas of environmental, land use, renewable energy, and appellate law.
For up to date utilities news and information, click here to read Chris' blog.
- Represent electric, telecommunication, gas, water and sewer utilities in regulatory and complaint proceedings before North Carolina Utilities Commission (NCUC).
- Represent water, wastewater and electric utilities in general rate case applications.
- Represent and advise natural gas and propane gas companies with respect to NCUC regulation.
- Represent electric, telecommunication, water and wastewater utilities in mergers, acquisition and divestment proceedings.
- Advise clients with respect to Senate Bill 3 renewable energy portfolio standards (REPS), renewable energy credits (RECs) and sustainable energy regulations.
- Represent utilities and commercial utility customers in general Superior Court litigation.
- Represent utilities in environmental and land use permitting and enforcement proceedings.
- Represent clients in appeals before state and federal appellate courts.
- Advise and represent clients on various issues under the jurisdiction of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
read all representative experience
- Represent water, sewer and gas clients in contested case petitions before the Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Advise telecommunications companies on transition from regulated to competitive markets.
- Advise and represent telecommunications company in connection with the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
- Represent and advise competing local telephone providers (CLPs and CLECs) in proceedings before the North Carolina Utilities Commission.
- Advise public utilities regarding compliance with administrative rules and regulations.
- Represent and advise municipalities on public utility matters.
- Advise and represent municipalities regarding land use and zoning regulation and enforcement.
- Substantial experience in state appellate practice while serving as law clerk to a North Carolina Court of Appeals Judge.
- Represent electric power suppliers in REPS compliance proceedings and rulemaking before the NCUC.
- Represent electric power supplier in negotiating purchased power agreement.
Prior Legal Experience
Prior to joining Poyner Spruill, Chris practiced with Hunton & Williams. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Linda McGee with the North Carolina Court of Appeals from 2002 to 2003.