John represents lenders, owners, general contractors, architects and engineers, subcontractors, suppliers and manufacturers involving public and private projects (commercial, institutional, industrial) ranging in value from $50,000 to $50,000,000. He also handles disputes relating to change orders, delays, surety bond claims and mechanics’ lien issues. In addition, John represents vendors and users in connection with the procurement of computer hardware and software.
John is a certified mediator and devotes a significant amount of his practice to helping litigants resolve their cases through mediation. He has been on the American Arbitration Association's panel of arbitrators since 1988 and certified as a “Master Arbitrator” by the American Arbitration Association.
John is a guest lecturer at N. C. State University and speaker on construction law topics at seminars sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association and the Wake Forest Continuing Legal Education Programs.
City of Gastonia v. Balfour Beatty Construction Corporation, Inc., American Home Assurance Company and Federal Insurance Company, 222 F. Supp. 2d 771 (U.S. Dist. 2002) - Obtained favorable settlement for Owner against Contractor for the recovery due to delay and defective work on a project for the expansion of a waste-water treatment plant.
United States Fidelity & Guaranty Company v. City of Raleigh, 93 N.C. App. 159, S.E.2d 768 (N.C. App. 1989) - Defended a Municipality against claim of Surety that its surety bonds had been improperly rejected.
Tara of North Hills, Debtor, Pioneer Savings Bank, Incorporated, and David W. Boone, Trustee In Bankruptcy for Tara of North Hills, V. Barney K. Huang; Lindy W. Huang
read all representative experience
, 896 F.2d 547 (U.S. App. 1990) - Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Bank against claims of Owner that it had improperly foreclosed on apartment project. Raynor Steel Erection v. York Construction Company and The Atlantic States Bankcard Properties Corporation
, 83 N.C. App. 654, 351 S.E.2d 136 (N.C. App. 1986) - Successfully represented Steel Erector against Contractor’s claims that it improperly braced steel structure that collapsed during a storm. Jonathan Garrity, d/b/a Cambridge Hanover Aviation Parkway Associates, Browning-Ferris Industries, Inc., and Bobby L. Murray, v. Morrisville Zoning Board of Adjustment, Southport Business Park, Limited Partnership, and Morrisville Associates
, 115 N.C. App.273, 444 S.E.2d 653 (N.C. App. 1994) - Successfully represented Owner of property against adjacent property owner’s challenge of site plan approval for offices and transfer facility.
- Author, "The North Carolina Revised Arbitration Act" – Article published by the NCBF, CLE, October 2004
- "Deciding to Arbitrate or Litigate," Construction Litigation: Strategies and Techniques, 1993
- "Subcontracts and Purchase Orders" – Article published by Wake Forest CLE
- Co-Author, "Liability of the Architect and Engineer in North Carolina for Professional Negligence" – published by Lorman Education Services, 1995
- Author, "Reimbursable Cost of Cost-Plus Contract" – Change Order May, 1993, Volume 7, Number 3
- Author, "Professional Liability of Architects and Engineers" – published by North Carolina Bar Foundation, October, 1990, CLE program
- "Deciding to Arbitrate or Litigate – Construction Litigation: Strategies and Techniques" – Wiley Law Publications, 1993, cumulative supplement
- "Construction Litigation – Strategies and Techniques", NCBF CLE, October, 1993