Lynn's practice focuses on privacy and information security. He helps clients understand and comply with the myriad laws and regulations that govern the collection, use, storage, disclosure, and disposal of information. He also assists clients in staying abreast of what is on the horizon for the rapidly changing landscape of privacy and information security law so that they can effectively structure their long- and short-term business plans. Lynn counsels organizations in the retail, financial, health care, technology, and nonprofit sectors, among others.
- Drafts and revises policies and procedures to assist organizations in meeting their compliance obligations and minimizing risk
- Assists clients in preventing and responding to security breaches by providing advice on legal obligations, drafting breach notification correspondence to affected individuals and regulators, and formulating strategies to help organizations avoid reputational harm
- Counsels clients in contract negotiations that present privacy and information security concerns
- Drafts business associate agreements, notices of privacy practices, and related documents to assist clients in complying with HIPAA
- Assists clients in complying with the numerous regulatory regimes that govern website and mobile application privacy policies—including the California Online Privacy Protection Act, California’s “Shine the Light” law, and the Federal Trade Commission Act—by developing an understanding of clients’ current and future business practices, reviewing websites and mobile applications, and drafting privacy policies
- Advises clients on compliance with, and the practical implications of, numerous legal regimes, including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, HIPAA, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the CAN-SPAM Act, the European Data Protection Directive, state breach notification laws and information security regulations, the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, the E-SIGN Act, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act
Prior Legal Experience
Prior to joining Poyner Spruill, Lynn served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert N. Hunter, Jr., and the Honorable Sanford L. Steelman, Jr., of the Court of Appeals of North Carolina.