Pam represents businesses and professionals in administrative and civil litigation and appeals pertaining to a wide variety of regulatory compliance issues and professional licensure, as well as rulemaking proceedings before the North Carolina Rules Review Commission. Pam’s health care practice focuses on certificate of need (CON) litigation and appeals; regulatory compliance and professional licensure matters; and matters involving compliance with HIPAA privacy and security rules, the HITECH Act, and other privacy laws. She has assisted both covered entities and business associates in tackling HIPAA and HITECH compliance issues, crafting policies and contracts, and responding to HIPAA complaints.
In addition to her health care and administrative law practice, Pam represents counties and municipalities in disputes, litigation and appeals concerning local, State and Federal regulatory issues, including land use, public enterprise services and public utilities, and public records and open meetings.
- Currently representing leading cancer treatment center in complex contested case, defending Agency decision to award client CON for acquisition of new linear accelerator and to deny competing proposals from other providers
- Currently representing coastal counties in opposing development of U.S. Navy air field for jet aircraft training at alternate site located in counties
- Represented a National Board for Professional Teaching Standards certified teacher in successfully appealing N.C. Department of Public Instruction's denial of NBPTS salary supplement
- Represented a major national provider of dialysis services in defending certificates of need obtained to develop new facilities or expand existing facilities, and in challenging certificates of need approved for competitor companies
read all representative experience
- Represented several municipalities and counties in advising them regarding annexation, zoning, land use, and public enterprise service issues
- Represented a coastal county in compelling a public water utility, through an agreement negotiated before the North Carolina Utilities Commission, to improve the quality of water it provides to the county and its residents
- Represented a developer working on a multi-phase mixed-use development in a coastal county regarding annexation, zoning, and water service issues
- Represented a major national provider of funeral services in negotiating a settlement of a dispute with the State Board of Funeral Service regarding preneed funeral service issues
- Represented the N.C. Council of Community Programs in challenging the validity of reimbursement rates for mental health services established by the State Division of Medical Assistance
- Represented the North Carolina Citizens for Business and Industry in defeating the State's Department of Labor ergonomics rule
- Represented the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency in successfully defending the State’s low-income housing tax credit program